PERU’S AMAZON & THE AREQUIPA & COCA CANYON
17 Day Package from Lima to Lima
Your Monograms vacation in Peru’s Amazon and the Andes Mountains begins in Lima with a guided city tour highlighting the history and culture, including the Cathedral and Santo Domingo Convent. You’ll explore the Amazon jungle from Puerto Maldonado, its entry point in Peru’s Madre de Dios. With your expert Naturalist by your side, sail on the Tambopata River and view fascinating wildlife and birds on the way to your Amazon Jungle Lodge. Included excursions while in the Amazon include a canoe ride at dusk to learn about the Amazonia river ecosystems, nocturnal creatures, and the southern constellation; a dugout canoe ride on Lake Sandoval in Tambopata National Reserve searching for otters, macaws, monkeys, and much more; a walk in the jungle canopy for a different perspective of the jungle from 100 feet above; a visit to a local farm; and a clay lick to observe wildlife from a blind.
Your adventure continues in the Sacred Valley in the Andes Mountains to enjoy local culture, a traditional market with artisan textiles and jewelry, and a visit to the Inca fortress at Ollantaytambo. Board a train for Machu Picchu to explore the “Lost City of the Incas,”on a guided tour. Stay overnight and return the following morning to witness the sunrise—an experience you will not soon forget! Enjoy the sights in Cusco, including the Santo Domingo Monastery and Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas. Fly to Juliaca and travel to the shores of Lake Titicaca. Sail on the highest navigable lake in the world and visit Taquile Island, a remnant of the Inca Empire, conquered by the Spanish in the 16th century. Visit the Uros Islands, made completely of reeds and the locals continue their traditional way of life. On your way to the airport at trip’s end, visit the ruins of Sillustani—the fascinating pre-Inca burial ground of ancient high priests. Mysterious ruins of many lifetimes past make this Monograms vacation in Peru and the Amazon the trip of a lifetime.
Insider Benefits Included in Your Vacation
Monograms is all about connecting you to your destination with unmatched insider guidance and support to make travel a pleasure. With a team of local experts in each destination, your Monograms vacation includes local assistance and tips that only a local would know. In addition to an expertly-planned vacation with great hotels and included sightseeing, Monograms means you’ll get the VIP treatment from a team of local insiders who help you put your signature on your vacation.
- Arrival & Hotel Transfer – Monograms greets you like a VIP when you arrive at your destination then whisks you off to your hotel with a friendly Monograms operated transfer, complimentary for guests who have purchased their flights through Monograms.
- Hotel Check-In – Once you arrive at your hotel, your own Monograms Local Host® is there to greet you, help you get checked in, and share lots of destination insights with you to get your vacation started.
- Sightseeing – Get an insider’s look at the must-see sights with the insight and knowledge of an expert Monograms Local Guide. Delight in the stares of regular tourists as they slide you past the line and right into the doorway with VIP access.
- Free Time – Your Monograms Local Host® can provide tips and suggestions and even help you book activities & excursions to make the most of your time at your destination, helping you drink in the local culture in just your style.
- Dining – What better restaurant recommendations can you find than from a local who knows? From haute cuisine to hidden cafes, from street food to Michelin Stars, your Local Host® can give you the inside scoop on finding your favorite fare.
- MonogramsGO App – To help you feel even more comfortable in your destination, Monograms offers access to our MonogramsGO app where guests can check flight, hotel and transfer information and customize their trip with a host of local suggestions.
- City Connections – When your vacation includes traveling from one city to another, we’ll get you to your train or plane, stress free with door-to-gate service. Your local Monograms team awaits your arrival at your next destination.
- Activities & Excursions – Monograms offers a range of amazing experiences you can add to your trip, vetted by our team and perfectly coordinated with your Monograms package. Add them before you leave or on trip with the help of your Local Host®.
- Airport Departure – Parting is such sweet sorrow. When you’ve explored all that you can explore and it’s time to head home, your Local Host® will ensure a smooth departure, on time and on point, stress-free.
* The “Starting at” or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. Pricing may vary on this date due to hotel availability. Some packages require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Monograms).ISJD
Welcome to Lima. Heralded as the “City of Kings” by Spanish conquistadors, Lima retains vestiges of its opulent past with its colonial buildings and world-class museums. Your hotel is available for mid-afternoon check-in.
Your included CITY TOUR focuses on Lima’s rich colonial history as well as the modern city. Lima was the bastion of Spanish South America from its founding in 1535 until the independence of the South American republics in the early 19th century. See the Cathedral, where the remains of Francisco Pizarro are sealed in a wooden coffin, and the SANTO DOMINGO CONVENT to see the relics of three famous Peruvian saints—Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres, and San Juan Macias.
Fly to Puerto Maldonado, capital of Madre de Dios and the entry to Peru’s Amazon Jungle. Embark on a MOTORBOAT RIDE for a journey up the Tambopata River to view turtles, caimans, monkeys, and river birdlife such as capped herons, black skimmers, and kingfishers. Arrive at your unique Amazon Jungle Lodge where you will meet with your expert Naturalist who will help tailor your time in the Amazon with various included activities. At dusk, take a CANOE RIDE to learn about the Amazonia river ecosystems, nocturnal animals’ behavior, and the southern constellation.
Walk into the TAMBOPATA NATIONAL RESERVE with your Naturalist, then navigate by dugout canoe around LAKE SANDOVAL, a beautiful oxbow lake. Learn about the reserve’s conservation efforts and the animals that inhabit this lake, such as the endangered giant river otters, blue and yellow macaws, red howler monkeys, and black caimans. This afternoon, the CANOPY WALKWAY shows you a different perspective 100 feet above ground. After night falls, your Naturalist introduces you to the nocturnal animals of the Amazon.
A short boat ride brings you to a NATIVE FARM where farmers use ancient methods to grow crops. Learn about local cultivation techniques and taste some of the produce. This afternoon, visit a CLAY LICK to observe wildlife from a blind to observe the normal routine of the fauna without disrupting the environment.
Fly to Cusco, high in the Andes. Upon arrival, begin your scenic drive into the lush Urubamba Valley, also known as the Sacred Valley of the Incas and your home for the next two nights.
Today, your PRIVATE SIGHTSEEING of the Sacred Valley begins in the market town of PISAC. Handmade rugs, alpaca sweaters, and jewelry can be bought here at bargain prices. After time in the market, your next visit is the Inca Fortress of OLLANTAYTAMBO. Here, some of the finest examples of Inca masonry can be seen. Enjoy an included lunch before returning to your hotel this afternoon.
Board a TRAIN TRIP bound for MACHU PICCHU and cut a path through the Sacred Valley to this “Lost City of the Incas,” discovered by American explorer Hiram Bingham in 1911. On a GUIDED TOUR, explore this intact fortress with its temple remains, holy houses, and mile-long aqueduct. For hikers, a brisk one-hour walk leads to the Sun Gate, the ancient entrance used by the Incas.
A morning at leisure allows you to wake up early to see the sunrise over MACHU PICCHU with your second included entrance to the ruins. Return to Cusco by train this evening, where your Local Host can recommend dining options for your free night.
Your GUIDED TOUR of Cusco visits the Plaza de Armas and its CATHEDRAL and the SANTO DOMINGO MONASTERY, previously the Koricancha Temple, one of the most important temples devoted to worship of the sun. It is said it was covered in gold leaf and filled with golden representations of nature. This afternoon, in your free time, perhaps visit the Inca Museum or wander through the artisan district of San Blas.
Fly to Juliaca, where you will be transferred to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca.
Today, enjoy a full-day sailing on LAKE TITICACA and take a motorboat to some of the lake’s more unique islands. Start with TAQUILE ISLAND, once part of the Inca Empire and one of the last areas of Peru to be conquered by Spain in the 16th century. The Spanish banned traditional dress on the island, which is why the Spanish peasant dress can still be found today. Next, travel to the fascinating UROS ISLANDS, home to the Uros Indians, who were forced to live on the lake as the Inca Indians pushed farther into their territory. These islands are completely made from reeds, which are continually added to as they disintegrate to the bottom of the lake.
Depart for Colca Canyon this morning, visiting Lagunillas en route, a habitat of the Andean Flamingo. Continue to Patapampa, the highest point at 16,000 feet called the volcanoes lookout point where you will be able to see the Misti, Ampato, and Hualcahualca Volcanoes. Keep an eye out for vicuñas, llamas, alpacas and other Andean animals as they are commonly spotted here. Admire beautiful pre-Columbian terraces still being cultivated by native Collaguas.
Today is free for independent exploration. Colca Canyon is an impressive geological formation carved out by the river as it descended between the mountains (made of largely volcanic materials) over millions of years. More than twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, Colca Canyon is one of the deepest in the world. Observe the spectacular terracing, considered among the most extensive in southern Peru. These terraces, which allow cultivation and meticulously controlled irrigation of the steep slopes of the canyon, were built by Collagua and Cabana ethnic groups between the 9th and 14th centuries. Late this afternoon, relax at LA CALERA hot springs which are naturally heated hot springs pools surrounded by mountains.
Proceed to CONDORS’ CROSS, an observation point where you can view these majestic Andean birds and enjoy the impressive panorama of the COLCA CANYON, one of the deepest in the world. Next, visit the towns of Yanque, Maca, Achoma, and Pinchollo. In the afternoon, arrive in Arequipa located in the Chili River Valley and flanked by three snowcapped volcanoes: Misti, Chachani, and Pichu Pichu. Known as the “white city,” Arequipa definitely does justice to its nickname, as its buildings are made of sillar, a white volcanic rock found throughout the area. The stone embellishes the facades of the city’s homes and churches.
This morning, a PRIVATE CITY TOUR of Arequipa shows off the Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral before visiting the Jesuit CHURCH, considered the best example of the mestizo baroque style. Continue to the residential districts of Yanahuara and Chilina, where you enjoy a magnificent view of Arequipa’s countryside and the Mount Misti volcano. Transfer to the airport for your return flight to Lima.
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.