PERU HIGHLIGHTS WITH NAZCA LINES, AREQUIPA & COLCA CANYON
14 Day Package from Lima to Lima
Monograms has created all-in-one packages a cut above going on your own, while leaving the group behind. Each package comes with hand-selected hotels, plus “they really do that?” service of a Monograms Local Host®-a local expert available throughout your stay. We’ve arranged sightseeing, exclusive to Monograms guests, complete with VIP access into some of the most incredible attractions (that means you skip the lines). We’ve arranged transportation and we offer a selection of special excursions. With Monograms, you travel in style independently without going it alone.
Insider Benefits Included in Your Vacation
Monograms is all about connecting you to your destination with unmatched insider guidance and support to make travel a pleasure. With a team of local experts in each destination, your Monograms vacation includes local assistance and tips that only a local would know. In addition to an expertly-planned vacation with great hotels and included sightseeing, Monograms means you’ll get the VIP treatment from a team of local insiders who help you put your signature on your vacation.
- Arrival & Hotel Transfer – Monograms greets you like a VIP when you arrive at your destination then whisks you off to your hotel with a friendly Monograms operated transfer, complimentary for guests who have purchased their flights through Monograms.
- Hotel Check-In – Once you arrive at your hotel, your own Monograms Local Host® is there to greet you, help you get checked in, and share lots of destination insights with you to get your vacation started.
- Sightseeing – Get an insider’s look at the must-see sights with the insight and knowledge of an expert Monograms Local Guide. Delight in the stares of regular tourists as they slide you past the line and right into the doorway with VIP access.
- Free Time – Your Monograms Local Host® can provide tips and suggestions and even help you book activities & excursions to make the most of your time at your destination, helping you drink in the local culture in just your style.
- Dining – What better restaurant recommendations can you find than from a local who knows? From haute cuisine to hidden cafes, from street food to Michelin Stars, your Local Host® can give you the inside scoop on finding your favorite fare.
- MonogramsGO App – To help you feel even more comfortable in your destination, Monograms offers access to our MonogramsGO app where guests can check flight, hotel and transfer information and customize their trip with a host of local suggestions.
- City Connections – When your vacation includes traveling from one city to another, we’ll get you to your train or plane, stress free with door-to-gate service. Your local Monograms team awaits your arrival at your next destination.
- Activities & Excursions – Monograms offers a range of amazing experiences you can add to your trip, vetted by our team and perfectly coordinated with your Monograms package. Add them before you leave or on trip with the help of your Local Host®.
- Airport Departure – Parting is such sweet sorrow. When you’ve explored all that you can explore and it’s time to head home, your Local Host® will ensure a smooth departure, on time and on point, stress-free.
* The “Starting at” or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. Pricing may vary on this date due to hotel availability. Some packages require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Monograms).ISMH
Welcome to Lima. Heralded as the “City of Kings” by Spanish conquistadors, Lima retains vestiges of its opulent past with its colonial buildings and world-class museums. Your hotel is available for mid-afternoon check-in.
Enjoy a scenic drive south along the Pan-American Highway to Pisco, the wine capital of Peru. Have your camera handy today as you board your aircraft for a FLIGHTSEEING over the Nazca plains, which can only be appreciated by air. Your pilot will point out the mysterious markings known as the Nazca Lines, a series of drawings of animals and geometric figures etched into the parched soil—some up to 1,000 feet long! Theories vary, but the most accepted belongs to German mathematician Maria Reiche, who dubbed the land the “astronomical calendar” of the ancient Peruvians.
Head north to the Bay of Paracas. CRUISE out to the Ballestas Islands, which are inhabited by a wide variety of sea mammals and exotic birds, including boobies, sea lions, and Humboldt penguins. The huge Candelabro, an unexplained candelabra-shaped etching on the Paracas cliffside, can also be seen as you cruise back to shore. Later, return to Lima.
Your included CITY TOUR focuses on Lima’s rich colonial history as well as the modern city. Lima was the bastion of Spanish South America from its founding in 1535 until the independence of the South American republics in the early 19th century. See the Cathedral, where the remains of Francisco Pizarro are sealed in a wooden coffin, and the SANTO DOMINGO CONVENT to see the relics of three famous Peruvian saints—Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres, and San Juan Macias.
Fly to Cusco, high in the Andes. Your GUIDED TOUR visits the SANTO DOMINGO MONASTERY, one of the most important temples devoted to worship of the sun. It is said it was covered in gold leaf and filled with golden representations of nature. At Plaza de Armas, see the cathedral before taking a short drive outside the city to the ruins of SACSAYHUAMAN with its intricate stone walls, the amphitheater of KENKO, and the red fortress of PUCA PUCARA.
Today, a short drive into the Urubamba Valley, the Sacred Valley of the Incas, brings you to AWANAKANCHA to learn about the importance of the alpaca (llama) for Inca cultures, as well as the ancient weaving techniques still in use today. Continue to the market town of PISAC, where you can buy handmade rugs, alpaca sweaters, and jewelry at bargain prices. At the other end of the valley, visit OLLANTAYTAMBO to see some of the finest examples of Inca masonry.
Board a TRAIN TRIP bound for MACHU PICCHU and cut a path through the Sacred Valley to this “Lost City of the Incas,” discovered by American explorer Hiram Bingham in 1911. On a GUIDED TOUR, explore this intact fortress with its temple remains, holy houses, and mile-long aqueduct. For hikers, a brisk one-hour walk leads to the Sun Gate, the ancient entrance used by the Incas.
A morning at leisure allows you to wake up early to see the sunrise over MACHU PICCHU with your second included entrance to the ruins. Return to Cusco by train this evening, where your Local Host can recommend dining options for your free night.
Fly to Arequipa in the Chili River Valley and flanked by three snowcapped volcanoes: Misti, Chachani, and Pichu Pichu. Known as the “white city,” Arequipa definitely does justice to its nickname, as its buildings are made of sillar, a white volcanic rock found throughout the area. The stone embellishes the facades of the city’s homes and churches. Upon arrival, a PRIVATE CITY TOUR of Arequipa shows off the Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral before visiting the Jesuit CHURCH, considered the best example of the mestizo-baroque style. Continue to the residential districts of Yanahuara and Chilina, where you enjoy a magnificent view of Arequipa’s countryside and the Mount Misti volcano.
Depart for Colca Valley. Drive across Pampa Cañahuas within the Aguada Blanca National Reserve, the habitat of vicuñas and a variety of birds. Admire beautiful pre-Columbian terraces still being cultivated by native Collaguas. Stop for lunch in the town of Chivay. This afternoon, relax at LA CALERA hot springs.
Today is free for independent exploration. Colca Canyon is an impressive geological formation carved out by the river as it descended between the mountains (made of largely volcanic materials) over millions of years. More than twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, Colca Canyon is one of the deepest in the world. Observe the spectacular terracing, considered among the most extensive in southern Peru. These terraces, which allow cultivation and meticulously controlled irrigation of the steep slopes of the canyon, were built by Collagua and Cabana ethnic groups between the 9th and 14th centuries.
Proceed to CONDORS’ CROSS, an observation point where you can view these majestic Andean birds and enjoy the impressive panorama of the COLCA CANYON, one of the deepest in the world. Next, visit the towns of Yanque, Maca, Achoma, and Pinchollo. In the afternoon, return to Arequipa.
Transfer to the airport for your return flight to Lima
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.