ANDEAN JOURNEY WITH THE FINCH BAY IN THE GALÁPAGOS
18 Day Package from Lima to Guayaquil
Monograms has created all-in-one packages a cut above going on your own, while leaving the group behind. Each package comes with hand-selected hotels, plus “they really do that?” service of a Monograms Local Host®-a local expert available throughout your stay. We’ve arranged sightseeing, exclusive to Monograms guests, complete with VIP access into some of the most incredible attractions (that means you skip the lines). We’ve arranged transportation and we offer a selection of special excursions. With Monograms, you travel in style independently without going it alone.
Insider Benefits Included in Your Vacation
Monograms is all about connecting you to your destination with unmatched insider guidance and support to make travel a pleasure. With a team of local experts in each destination, your Monograms vacation includes local assistance and tips that only a local would know. In addition to an expertly-planned vacation with great hotels and included sightseeing, Monograms means you’ll get the VIP treatment from a team of local insiders who help you put your signature on your vacation.
- Arrival & Hotel Transfer – Monograms greets you like a VIP when you arrive at your destination then whisks you off to your hotel with a friendly Monograms operated transfer, complimentary for guests who have purchased their flights through Monograms.
- Hotel Check-In – Once you arrive at your hotel, your own Monograms Local Host® is there to greet you, help you get checked in, and share lots of destination insights with you to get your vacation started.
- Sightseeing – Get an insider’s look at the must-see sights with the insight and knowledge of an expert Monograms Local Guide. Delight in the stares of regular tourists as they slide you past the line and right into the doorway with VIP access.
- Free Time – Your Monograms Local Host® can provide tips and suggestions and even help you book activities & excursions to make the most of your time at your destination, helping you drink in the local culture in just your style.
- Dining – What better restaurant recommendations can you find than from a local who knows? From haute cuisine to hidden cafes, from street food to Michelin Stars, your Local Host® can give you the inside scoop on finding your favorite fare.
- MonogramsGO App – To help you feel even more comfortable in your destination, Monograms offers access to our MonogramsGO app where guests can check flight, hotel and transfer information and customize their trip with a host of local suggestions.
- City Connections – When your vacation includes traveling from one city to another, we’ll get you to your train or plane, stress free with door-to-gate service. Your local Monograms team awaits your arrival at your next destination.
- Activities & Excursions – Monograms offers a range of amazing experiences you can add to your trip, vetted by our team and perfectly coordinated with your Monograms package. Add them before you leave or on trip with the help of your Local Host®.
- Airport Departure – Parting is such sweet sorrow. When you’ve explored all that you can explore and it’s time to head home, your Local Host® will ensure a smooth departure, on time and on point, stress-free.
* The “Starting at” or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. Pricing may vary on this date due to hotel availability. Some packages require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Monograms).ISLF
Welcome to Lima. Heralded as the “City of Kings” by Spanish conquistadors, Lima retains vestiges of its opulent past with its colonial buildings and world-class museums. Your hotel is available for mid-afternoon check-in.
Your included CITY TOUR focuses on Lima’s rich colonial history as well as the modern city. Lima was the bastion of Spanish South America from its founding in 1535 until the independence of the South American republics in the early 19th century. See the Cathedral, where the remains of Francisco Pizarro are sealed in a wooden coffin, and the SANTO DOMINGO CONVENT to see the relics of three famous Peruvian saints—Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres, and San Juan Macias.
Fly to Cusco, high in the Andes. Upon arrival, begin your scenic drive into the lush Urubamba Valley, also known as the Sacred Valley of the Incas and your home for the next two nights.
Today, your PRIVATE SIGHTSEEING of the Sacred Valley begins in the market town of PISAC. Handmade rugs, alpaca sweaters, and jewelry can be bought here at bargain prices. After time in the market, your next visit is the Inca Fortress of OLLANTAYTAMBO. Here, some of the finest examples of Inca masonry can be seen. Enjoy an included lunch before returning to your hotel this afternoon.
Board a TRAIN TRIP bound for MACHU PICCHU and cut a path through the Sacred Valley to this “Lost City of the Incas,” discovered by American explorer Hiram Bingham in 1911. On a GUIDED TOUR, explore this intact fortress with its temple remains, holy houses, and mile-long aqueduct. For hikers, a brisk one-hour walk leads to the Sun Gate, the ancient entrance used by the Incas.
A morning at leisure allows you to wake up early to see the sunrise over MACHU PICCHU with your second included entrance to the ruins. Return to Cusco by train this evening, where your Local Host can recommend dining options for your free night.
Your GUIDED TOUR of Cusco visits the Plaza de Armas and its CATHEDRAL and the SANTO DOMINGO MONASTERY, previously the Koricancha Temple, one of the most important temples devoted to worship of the sun. It is said it was covered in gold leaf and filled with golden representations of nature. This afternoon, in your free time, perhaps visit the Inca Museum or wander through the artisan district of San Blas.
Arrive in Juliaca, where you will be transferred to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca
Today, enjoy a full-day sailing on LAKE TITICACA and take a motorboat to some of the lake’s more unique islands. Start with TAQUILE ISLAND, once part of the Inca Empire and one of the last areas of Peru to be conquered by Spain in the 16th century. The Spanish banned traditional dress on the island, which is why the Spanish peasant dress can still be found today. Next, travel to the fascinating UROS ISLANDS, home to the Uros Indians, who were forced to live on the lake as the Inca Indians pushed farther into their territory. These islands are completely made from reeds, which are continually added to as they disintegrate to the bottom of the lake.
Depart for Juliaca this morning, visiting the ruins of SILLUSTANI en route. At this pre-Incan burial ground, see where the ancient Aymaras buried their high priests in chullpas, above-ground cylinder-shaped tombs dating back to the 1400s. Transfer to the airport for your return flight to Lima, where the remainder of the day is at your leisure.
Fly to Quito, where you will be met by your Local Host.
Your included PRIVATE CITY TOUR showcases the rich legacy left by the Incas and the Spaniards. See Independence Square dominated by its formidable Cathedral, San Francisco Plaza Church, and the BASILICA with its marvelous stained-glass windows.
Fly to Baltra in the Galápagos. Upon arrival, board a yacht bound for NORTH SEYMOUR, an island teeming with life. You might have to give way to a passing sea lion, marine iguana, or blue-footed boobies that nest here. As you walk along the shore, see large flocks of pelicans in a dive-bomb feeding-frenzy, and one of the largest nesting sites in the Galápagos of the magnificent frigate bird. In the bushes you can see the males up close with their puffed-up scarlet throat sacs. Return to the yacht and begin your journey to the Finch Bay Hotel.
SPECIAL FEATURE: Named after the famous Darwin’s finches abundant in the surroundings, the Finch Bay Eco Hotel offers a private seaside location surrounded by mangroves. Amenities include a bar, lounge, restaurant, outdoor pool, and beachfront access. All rooms offer twin beds, private restroom, and air-conditioning. Guests will enjoy boat excursions to various Galápagos Islands, kayaking, snorkeling, bicycle rides in town, and viewing the local flora and fauna.
Transfer to the lush highlands of SANTA CRUZ to a farming area called El Manzanillo on the edge of the GIANT TORTOISE RESERVE. Here, tortoises can be seen grazing year-round, along with woodpecker finches, mockingbirds, and flycatchers. After lunch, visit a LOCAL FARM where coffee, sugar cane, and cocoa beans are grown, harvested, and prepared. Return to the hotel and perhaps spend time on the private beach.
Board a yacht bound for SANTA FÉ, where you will see the endemic Santa Fé land iguana and the large opuntia cactus forest. The beach area is covered with California sea lions, and the coastline is an excellent location for snorkeling with sea turtles.
Today’s adventure takes you to wildlife rich DIVINE BAY on Santa Cruz Island. Marine Iguanas, herons, noddy terns, blue-footed boobies, and tropicbirds are commonly seen here. You may explore by boat or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can take to the sea by kayak. Keep an eye out for sea turtles, rays, and reef sharks as you cruise the tranquil waters. Return to the hotel for lunch, followed by an afternoon visit to the CHARLES DARWIN RESEARCH STATION, established to help conserve the Galápagos’ natural habitats and protect the area’s famous giant tortoises
Depart the hotel this morning and visit the TWIN PIT CRATERS en route to Baltra. These great depressions of volcanic material were formed by a long process of slow sinking of the ground, where exceptional Scalesia trees, ferns, mosses, and orchids can be seen in the surroundings. Then, fly to Guayaquil on Ecuador’s Pacific coast and transfer to the hotel for your final night in Ecuador.
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.